Pedestrian Safety in Brooklyn
Brooklyn is a fast-paced, exciting and ever-changing section of New York City. Strolling down the streets of Brooklyn for a pleasant walk or simply to get from one place to another seems like a normal, everyday occurrence. That is, until a serious accident changes your life. You may have been hit by a car, bus, bicycle or taxicab. There may have been multiple parties involved — you might have sustained severe and even permanent injuries. In any event, if you have been injured as a pedestrian, you deserve proper compensation for your injuries, expenses, pain and suffering. A law firm can help you or your loved one obtain compensation.
Some accidents are unavoidable. However, you can take some precautions to be a safer pedestrian. You cannot rely on drivers to be careful, so being attentive and aware can prevent injuries and accidents. Here are some basic safety tips.
- Obey traffic signals. Only cross the street when the pedestrian traffic light signals to do so.
- Cross at crosswalks. Only cross the street at crosswalks. If you jaywalk, cars are less likely to see you and are less prepared to stop for you.
- Stay alert. Take off your headphones, leave your cell phone in your pocket and pay attention to your surroundings.
- Use sidewalks. Avoid walking in the street and stick to the sidewalk.
- Look both ways. Before crossing the street, remember what you were taught as a child — look both ways for oncoming traffic and hazards.
- Be seen. At night, wear bright, reflective clothing. Carry a flashlight and walk along brightly lit streets.
- Stay sober. Intoxication lowers your inhibitions and ability to make sound decisions.
If you have been injured, contact a team of Brooklyn injury lawyers to learn more about your legal rights.
No one wants to get hurt. No one wants to suffer. The Law Offices of Fredric S. Masure advocates for personal injury victims across Brooklyn and Queens. Let us fight for you and protect your best interests.