What to Do After a Taxi Accident
Using a taxicab to get around the city is useful and convenient. Millions of New Yorkers rely on cabs to get around the city, making their lives easier. However, taxi drivers are notorious for reckless and aggressive driving. Passengers remain at risk for serious injuries — and even death — when putting their lives in the hands of a careless cab driver. An accident lawyer can help you or a loved one in event of a taxicab accident.
After a taxi accident, you should do the following:
- Call the police. Contact local police immediately after the accident. Obtain the police report as soon as possible afterward.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine, go to the emergency room to be examined by professionals. Some symptoms may not appear until days or weeks after the accident. Gather copies of all medical records.
- Collect information. Get the full name, license number and phone number of the taxi driver. Write down the name and telephone number of the cab company. Obtain the license plate number and registration number of the taxicab. Get the insurance information for the cab company.
- Interview witnesses. Talk to people who saw the accident. Take down their names and contact information.
- Take pictures. If practical, take pictures of the accident scene and the taxi’s damages.
- Retain an attorney. In many cases, an insurance company may attempt to offer you an unfair or lowball settlement for your injuries and damages. Your best bet is to hire an experienced car accident attorney in Brooklyn, NY to handle the case. A lawyer can work with the insurance company and file a personal injury claim when necessary.
The Law Offices of Fredric S. Masure dedicates its practice to representing injury victims across New York. If you have been injured in any type of accident, contact our office today.