What to Do Immediately Following an Auto Accident
Advice from an experienced Brooklyn auto accident attorney
The minutes after a car accident are critical. Racing hearts, flaring tempers and vehicle damage can quickly overwhelm you. And if you’ve been injured in the event, you might not be able to focus on anything but your pain. But it’s important to note that what you do immediately after your accident becomes the foundation of your case. Brooklyn car accident lawyers recommend that you follow these steps to protect yourself and to give your case the best chance in court:
- Put safety first. Make sure all of the passengers in your car, including yourself, are OK. If you’re in doubt about the severity of an injury, stay in the car until paramedics arrive and try to remain calm.
- Don’t admit blame, even if you think the accident is your fault. Apologies don’t belong at the scene of an auto accident. Taking the blame for an accident can be seen as an admission of guilt and might be used against you in court. Save your good intentions for another time.
- Talk to witnesses. If you’re able to exit the car safely, ask any bystanders who witnessed your accident for their contact information. Witnesses strengthen your case.
- Take photos. It’s easy for your memories to become distorted after an accident. Taking photos helps you recall key pieces of information when you’re testifying in the courtroom. Note any traffic signs, skid marks, paint scrapes or other bits of evidence.
- Call your insurance company. Report your accident as soon as possible, and make sure you’re getting a fair damage estimate — not all insurance companies provide accurate information.
- Contact an attorney. Seek legal counsel if you’re involved in an insurance dispute or complicated accident. No matter the severity of your case, a car accident lawyer in Brooklyn, such as one from the Law Offices of Fredric S. Masure, will gladly look into your situation and make sure you’re getting the compensation you deserve.
Call the Law Offices of Fredric S. Masure today for your free consultation after an auto accident
Auto accidents happen quickly and can get complicated just as fast. Choose an experienced, affordable personal injury attorney like one from the Law Offices of Fredric S. Masure to help you sort out the facts of your case. Fredric’s hours are flexible, and he’ll meet you wherever you need him to go over your case. Call 718-942-7777 for your free consultation 24 hours a day or contact us online. Our office is located at 1932 Ralph Ave., Brooklyn, NY.